Even though the holidays are over, there are occasions for gifting all year long. In the spirit of giving back, we’ve compiled a list of unique items you can gift while giving back. With each purchase of one of these items, money or needed items are donated to some great causes or beneficial actions are taken to pay it forward.
- TOMS – This company was at the forefront of the One For One movement. While they started as comfy shoes, they’ve grown to include bags, eyewear, and apparel. For each purchase, TOMS will help a person in need. Depending on the purchase, they will donate either the gift of shoes, sight, water, safe births, or bullying prevention.
- Bambeco Sustainable Home Goods – You can find many unique gift at Bambeco. I particularly like the Olive Wood Globe. Not only is this globe attractive and useful, it, and other Bambeco products, were made in a way to cause less damage to the environment. With every purchase from Bambeco, the company plants a tree.
- Soma water products – Soma has a goal to provide clean drinking water to everyone across the globe. They have a variety of products to choose from, but my favorite is the glass water bottle that has a variety of color choices for your protective sleeve. With each purchase, Soma donates money to “charity: water” projects. This charity donates directly to sustainable, community-owned water projects in developing nations.
- Love Your Melon – This company was founded with the mission to improve the lives of children battling cancer. They started with the goal of putting a hat on every child battling cancer, and with the success of that they made a new goal to donate to pediatric cancer research. They carry many different colors of hats and different types of products. With every purchase, Love Your Melon donates 50% of their profits to their nonprofit partners who are leading the fight against pediatric cancer. So far, they’ve donated over 2.5 million dollars and over 90,000 hats.
- Bombas – Socks may not seem like the “funnest” of all gifts, but everyone needs them. The founders of this company were motivated by a simple statistic: socks are the most requested item at homeless shelters. They sell a variety of what they call “the best socks on the market.” They’ve reworked the stale design of normal socks to provide more support and comfort. To date, they’ve donated over one million pairs of socks to homeless shelters.
- Yoobi – This company has a variety of items to choose from, mostly in the realm of school supplies. They have really fun colored pens, notebooks, staplers, paperclips, and so much more. Office/school supplies aren’t glamorous, but deep down we all love them. For every product purchased, a classroom in the United States will get a supply that they desperately need.
- Smile Squared – Oral health is an often overlooked area of importance for people around the world. We all need toothbrushes, so purchasing them from Smile Squared allows you to help others improve their health regime. For every toothbrush you purchase, you help a child in need get one.
- BOGO Bowl – This would be more of a gift to your four legged friends, but a gift that gives back nonetheless. Go about your normal pet parenting duties and get them their delicious and healthy food. But instead of any old brand, give BOGO Bowl a try. For every bag your purchase, a bag is donated to a partner shelter. On top of that, the food is incredibly healthy!
- OneGrid – Everyone loves candles, and while there are an overwhelming number of options out there to get your preferred candle, you don’t have as many options of candles that will give back from your purchase. With each candle purchase, OneGrid delivers a solar light to a person living without electricity in a rural part of the world. Each premium candle is designed with a fragrance representing the country that will benefit from its purchase. Countries include Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia and Malawi.
- United by Blue – This company has a plethora of products to choose from. Backpacks, totes, women’s and men’s clothes, hats, camping gear, mugs, blankets, and even stuff for you pets, just to name a few. The one thing that brings all of it together is their founding principle: we are all united by the blue of our world’s oceans and waterways. For every product sold, they will remove a pound of trash from our world’s oceans and waterways. And they don’t pay others to do it. They get their team members and other volunteers to get their hands dirty during their organized cleanups. To date, they are just shy of cleaning up 1 million pounds of trash.
If there is a particular charity or cause close to your heart, there is more than likely a company that partners with it for charitable gifting! Below are a few links to some articles with additional companies that give when you purchase.